Implant supported dentures are special types of prostheses which depend upon dental implants for their retention and stability. The best thing about implant supported dentures is that they combine both the qualities of dental implants and removable dentures. Unlike the conventional removable dentures, implant supported dentures derive their support from dental implants which are firmly embedded within the jaw bone.
Who can benefit from implant supported overdentures?
If you are not happy with your conventional dentures because they do not fit properly or they slip when you are speaking, then implant supported dentures are an ideal option for you. This is because the implants provide a sound foundation for the dentures, thereby improving your chewing and speech efficiency. However, for having your teeth replaced with an implant supported prosthesis, you must have sufficient density and thickness of the residual jaw bone available, so that it can hold the implants firmly in place
How implant supported prostheses work?
Implant supported denture are prepared from the same pink colored acrylic that is used for the fabrication of conventional dentures. The artificial teeth that are used on these dentures are made from acrylic or porcelain. The internal surface of the denture base contains attachments whose corresponding part is present on the implant. In this way, when the denture is seated over the implants, both these corresponding attachments fit into each other perfectly, thereby preventing the denture from moving or slipping.
Types of implant dentures
Based on the attachment system, or precision attachment used, implant supported dentures can be divided into two types:
- Bar-retained overdentures – in these types of implant supported dentures, a metallic bar is placed over the implants. The internal surface of the denture is designed in such a way that it snuggly fits into the bar when it is inserted.
- Ball-retained overdentures – in this type of prosthesis, each implant contains a ball-ended metal (male) attachment. Similarly, the fitting surface of the denture contains (female) sockets that with ball-ended attachments and firmly hold the denture.
Why are implant dentures better than conventional dentures?
Since implant supported overdentures remain fixed to the implants, they will look and feel just like your natural teeth. they will also significantly improve your chewing and speech capability. This means that you will be able to enjoy all types of foods without being worried about your dentures slipping out of your mouth. Although implant supported dentures are much more expensive than the conventional dentures, their high cost is a minor issue in comparison to their numerous benefits.
Why Have Implant Dentures at Eternal Smiles?
At Eternal Smiles our dentist believe that denture stabilisation with Dental Implants offers the most natural appearance and function for your replacement teeth. As a permanent tooth replacement solution, we will:
- Make your dentures look, feel and function like your own natural teeth
- Restore your natural speech and taste (no need for a false denture palate)
- Stimulate the tissue in your jawbone to maintain your facial structures, helping you look younger longer
- Do away with the need for denture adhesives
- Eliminate the discomfort of ill-fitting dentures
What are Dental Implants?
A Dental Implant is a small titanium screw that replaces the root of your missing tooth. Titanium has biocompatible properties, which means that a Dental Implant will fuse naturally with your jawbone, acting as a safe and secure alternative to your own root. As well as making sure that your Partial or Complete Denture stays put, a Dental Implant will stimulate your bone tissue, helping to promote the overall health of your jaw and mouth.
Ready to look younger and feel great? Simply contact us today to find out more about Dental Implants Solihull, Birmingham on 01217050994.
Discover a new confidence to smile
Using an implant denture to replace multiple teeth has the advantages of:
- Chewing function is improved – the denture is much more stable – reduced risk of digestive problems
- No more concerns about embarrassing situations when a conventional denture may drop – improved self confidence
- Better support for facial tissues – giving a more ‘youthful’ appearance
- No need for unpleasant denture adhesives or pastes
- The implant secured denture can be removed to ease cleaning around the implants